Farm Processing Assistant
Sole Food Farms is an internationally recognized social enterprise that transforms vacant urban land into street farms that grow artisan quality fruits and vegetables. Our mission is to empower individuals with limited resources by providing jobs, agricultural training and inclusion in a supportive community of farmers and food lovers.
The Farm Processing Assistant (FPA) works under the Distribution Coordinator (DC) and Farm Manager to aid in the post-harvest processing of all farm produce. The successful applicant will thrive in a fast-paced environment where they are challenged to handle our product with the utmost care and attention, prepare items for farmers markets and restaurant orders, wash totes used for produce, and maintain cleanliness and organization of the processing station at the end of each processing shift. The FPA will also serve as the Market Lead for our Wednesday market which means this position will be responsible for making sure weekly sales goals are met or (hopefully) exceeded.
- Aid in post-harvest processing of all farm produce; this includes washing, weighing, recording, and quality/consistency control of all farm produce.
- Bunch produce (ex. carrots or kale) in a consistent and quick manner.
- Report any issues with produce quality to the DC.
- Pack farmers market and restaurant produce as directed by the DC.
- Wash Rubbermaid totes used to harvest and store produce
- Clean the processing station at the end of each shift, and take compost to pile.
- Any other farm tasks: including harvest, raking, weeding, etc. if time permits and as directed by management.
- Serve as the Market Lead at the Wednesday Main Street Farmers’ Market from June to October
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum 1-year experience handling food; either direct farm processing experience, commercial kitchen or industrial food preparation.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license
- Understanding of produce standards expected in high-end kitchens an asset.
- Keen attention to detail, see variations in quality of a product or bunch size.
- Can work quickly and with minimal supervision; fast learner.
- Works in a clean, organized, and orderly manner
- Must be comfortable in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment similar to that of a busy kitchen
- Friendly and outgoing,
Sole Food Farms is an innovative social enterprise that operates one of North America’s largest urban farms to provide support to people facing barriers.
The position of Processing Assistant is an hourly position classified as Farm Worker, under BC Employment standard that may be required to work up to 60 hours per week during peak harvest season to get our produce to its home. A typical work schedule is 6:30am–4:30pm, Mon-Fri (June-September) but expect that some days may require more. Hours will be reduced to about 20 hours per week in the off-peak season.
In addition to an entry level wage, benefits include deep discounts on produce and working outside with a bunch of amazing people.
Potential candidates will be contacted for an interview as they are identified. This seasonal position will start in May. For the right person, seasonal renewal is an option. This posting will remain active until the position is filled.
The Distribution Coordinator is a nascent signer. Deaf and ASL-primary applicants are encouraged.
Send Cover Letter and Resume to: